Canoeing & Kayaking
The rivers and lakes in South Dakota provide canoeists and kayakers with excellent opportunities to enjoy the outdoors, breathe fresh air, enjoy nature, learn about area history, and participate in physical exercise.
- Do not take canoes out in windy and/or stormy conditions.
- Do not stand in a canoe.
- Make certain there is at least one adult in the canoe.
- Make certain that all lifejackets fit properly and are zipped / hooked correctly.
- Save the horseplay for off the water.
- Stay out of the swimming area.
- Stay close to shore, especially when just learning to canoe.